How To Enter:
All contestants must be 21+ and must live in New England (MA, RI, CT, ME, NH, VT). We will be selecting a maximum of seven contestants per category.
To apply, submit the following:
- A completed Pageant application (Incomplete applications will not be considered)
- A headshot (electronically) sent to Pageant@bostonpride.org
- A $25 Application Fee
A completed application, headshot and payment must be received by the Pageant Coordinator by Sunday, May 13, 2013. Applications will not be considered complete until all three pieces are received.
An email will be sent confirming our receipt of the completed application and will provide further instruction about the competition.
Only money orders, cash (in person only) or Pay Pal will be accepted for payment and should be made payable to Boston Pride. Do not mail cash.
**Important Dates Regarding Pageant**
- Mandatory Contestant Informational Meeting – May 13th, 2013 – Harriet Tubman House, 566 Columbus Ave
- Application Deadline – May 13th, 2013
- Mandatory Contestant Interview Day – Sunday, June 2, 2013 – Machine Night club
Rules & Regulations
- Each contestant is responsible for his or her conduct and the conduct of his or her dresser and other participants in his or her talent number. Contestants should be respectful, polite, and cooperative.
- The use of illegal substances by contestants, dressers, and other members of a contestant’s talent number is prohibited. Violation will result in immediate disqualification without refund of the entrance fee.
- Any contestant who is not at the designated place at the appointed time will have a 10 point administrative point deduction. This includes CHECK IN TIME which is 6pm at the venue.
- Each contestant may have one dresser. Due to space limitations, other members of a contestant’s talent ensemble (dancers, prop persons, etc.) may only enter the dressing room prior to the contestant’s performance. A contestant caught having more than one assistant backstage too soon will have an administrative deduction of 10 points.
- Only contestants and one dresser are allowed free entry to the event. Other performers (up to 5 People) in your talent ensemble must pay a reduced admission to the event.
- This activity is a non-profit event held for the LGBT community for entertainment purposes as well as to increase the visibility of the LGBT community and related topics.
- The Boston Pride Committee owns the concept and titles of King and Queen of Boston Pride.
- The Boston Pride Committee and its Directors and Staff are not responsible for any loss of items, and/or any damage to private property or injury at any time during the application process, orientation, or the competition.
- Competition order will be determined the day of the Personal Interview.
- Rules and Regulations are subject to change at any time!
If you win:
You will receive a $100 cash prize, crown, and sash. You will have a performance spot on the main stage.
- You will be required to attend all Official Boston Pride Events wearing your crown and sash.
- Tuesday, June 4th – Human Rights and Education Discussion
- Saturday, June 8th – Pride Parade
- Saturday , June 8th – Pride Festival – Main Stage Performance
- Saturday, June 8th – Boston Pride Youth Dance
- Sunday, June 9th – JP block Party Drag Show
- You will become a Boston Pride Committee member and will be required to attend monthly meetings during your reign as King/Queen of Boston Pride 2013.
- You will be required to hold a fundraiser during your reign that will benefit Boston Pride.
- You will be able to use the name of the Pageant and the Title, ONLY when approved by Boston Pride Committee.
- You will need to represent appropriately the Boston Pride Committee and the LGBT community throughout Boston Pride Week and at other events throughout New England as determined and agreed upon by the Boston Pride Committee and the winners.
**The Boston Pride Committee, its sponsors, and any participating establishment or venue are not to be held responsible for covering costs of any other Pageant or activity that the winners may participate in during the next year as Title holders.**
Pride Presentation: In this category, the judges are going to be looking for posture, creativity, and each contestant’s presentation of the Theme. After Modeling each contestant will step to the microphone and state his/her name, where they are from and what Pride means to them. Be creative, different, radical, and imaginative! This category is worth 15 points.
Talent: This is one of the highest scored categories. This category is limited to 4 minutes and if a contestant exceeds that time, points will be taken away from the final score. (You have a total of 4 minutes. If you have props they must be removed within those 4 minutes)Talent can come in many forms, so find an original way to express yours! This category is worth 30 points.
Evening Wear: Contestants may choose evening wear in their preferred color and style. Please keep in mind that it is NOT a costume. We are looking for style, color, fit, elegance, best use of accessories including shoes and jewelry, hairstyle, and proper make-up. This category is worth 20 points.
Personal Interview: Each contestant will be interviewed individually by a panel of Boston Pride Committee members. The purpose of the personal interview is to allow the Boston Pride Committee some insight into the character of each contestant. During the interview, the panel is also afforded the opportunity to evaluate each contestant’s basic qualities, such as intelligence, ability to communicate, attitude, composure, etc. This category is worth 35 points. (*Please note: Judges for the Personal interview are different judges from the judges of the day of the pageant*)
Tie Breaker: In the event of a tie for the title, a second on-stage question will be used. Judges: An odd number of judges (3 or 5) from various backgrounds will be chosen by the Boston Pride Committee. Two Pride Board members, who will not be part of the judging process, will tabulate scores.
Contestants may request a copy of his/her scores and comments from the judges after the competition by emailing Pageant@bostonpride.org no later than 2 weeks after the event.